If you like pies, you must know that almost all the truly amazing pies are based, somehow, on dairy cheese. Or eggs. Or both… too bad, but no worries! Now that we have such a creamy, super-delicious vegan cheese that is based on a 100% vegan super-food (yey! cashew!!), we can achieve even better results with our pies!
Please don’t be concerned with the cashew’s fat as it is a healthy fat that your body needs in order to maintain a healthy body weight (you read that well!); cashew provides you with valuable nutrients that may save you from disease. It will protect your heart like a good guard! Cashew cheese is healthy, tasty, creamy and simply amazing!
This pie is SO good that it might disappear too soon… (someone said it taste like more??) so just think about it: healthy, delicious AND easy to make!!
What you need:
* Vegan cashew cheese with chives (you can mix 1 cup of soaked raw cashews with 1 spoon olive oil, 1/3 cup water, 1 garlic clove and salt in a strong blender until smooth and creamy. When ready, add handful of chopped chives and mix).
You may replace the cashew with 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, both blended well in a strong blender.
* 1 red pepper, sliced (very thin!)
* 1 white or purple chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
* 2 small potatoes, chopped to small cubes OR - 1 chopped sweet potato (no skin) and 1 cup caluliflower
* 4 spoons corn starch
* Olive oil: 2 spoons to stir-fry the vegetables, 1 spoon for pie topping
* 2 well-chopped garlic cloves
* Herbs for topping: dried oregano, basil, thyme, rosemarie – you could use one, none, or a mix
* Salt to taste
What to do:
* Saute the onion in olive oil until golden, and add the potatoes with salt to taste. Cook until the potatoes are pretty soft, but not too much.
* Add the red pepper, broccoli and garlic. Stir-fry until the vegetables are nice and soft. Add salt to taste and mix.
* Mix the potatoes, corn starch and vegan cheese. Mix well, add the vegetables and mix again.
* Add 1 tbs olive oil to the baking tray so it’s oily all over, and then add the mix. You may top your pie with herbs.
* Sprinkle some olive oil on the top, all over the pie. Couple of stripes will do the work; not too much!
* Bake in 180 degrees celsius for about 25 minutes.
It’s better to let it cool before you start eating, but it’s a risk your’e taking: someone may get there before you and finish the whole thing! 🙂 Be aware!!!