Chocolate is a BIG favourite for many of us. Being vegan is NOT a reason to give up the joy of chocolate (as long as you don’t mix it with dairy)! Chocolate can be healthy and delicious at the same time!
This recipe – I admit – contain sugar (brown!) – but it also contain ripe bananas and coca powder, so it is also healthy!
What you need:
For the cake:
* 1 cup coconut oil
* 3 RIPE Bananas (no ripe – no cake!)
* 400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 tbs vanilla extract (the real one!)
* 70 gram cocoa powder
* pinch of salt
* 1 1/2 cup flour (yes- one and a half!): either whole wheat, rice or tapioca. I used Bob’s red mill gluten-free flour, which is a combination of natural flours. If you use this one, please pay attention to the fact that it contain fava beans flour, so if you are allergic to fava beans you may be aware
* 10 gram baking powder
* 100 gram chocolate cheap (non-dairy)
For the coating:
* 150 gram chocolate (non-dairy, over 50% cocoa)
* 1/2 cup almond milk (chocolate flavour is better) or coconut milk (you may add more than 1/2 cup if needed)
* Maple syrup to taste (depends how sweet you like it). Must be 100% maple.
What to do:
* Heat the oven to 330 degrees (Fahrenheit)
* Blend together the oil, bananas, coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla until you get a nice dough
* Add the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder until you get a dough
* Pur the dough in a large, wide baking tray
* Sprinkle the chocolate cheap on top
* Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the cake is dry (check with toothpick in the middle)
* While the cake is in the oven, make the coating: in a double boiler pot put the ingredients and stir until it melts into a smooth chocolate cream. Warning: don’t eat the whole thing before the cake is ready!!
* You may use the toothpick to create couple of holes that will allow the coating to get into the cake
* pur the chocolate coating on the entire cake
* Let cool before eating – the best is to put in the fridge for couple of hours or even a day. The cake will be firm and even more tasty!